Saturday, January 2, 2010

No Time.....for moving to Alabama

At the beginning of 1970 more than music was changing in my life. On January 2 my family and I were in the process of moving from Battle Creek, Michigan to Huntsville, Alabama. This move was occurring in the middle of my Junior year of High School which meant that I would be attending my third different High School in as many years. As an Air Force brat from birth I was used to moving and changing schools schools but I was not thrilled to be moving to Alabama. All I knew about Alabama was what I had seen on TV news reports in the 60s. If you were alive then you should now be seeing George Wallace/Bull Connors in your mind, if you weren't alive in the 60s let's agree that my decision to focus this blog on music is a good thing.

Getting back to music, at 16 I had just gotten interested in music (I was a late bloomer). In the fall of 1969 I purchased my first 45 RPM single, No Time by the Guess Who. When you only have one record you tend to play it a lot and I listened to No Time so many times that I found myself not being able to sleep since I could not get the damned song out of my mind. Coincidentally, the Guess Who album that contained my single was was one of the first albums released in 1970. That album will be the focus of tomorrow's blog entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment